Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Artemis in Rome

Artemis at St.Peter's Square
Rome (first impressions)
Artemis

Sitting in are airy hotel room in Cairo, dad calls up the tourist information. We’re all watching him as he says” Hello, I was wondering how much it would cost to by a airplane ticket to…..uh” he looks at us with a look that says “where do you guys want to go?” we all look at each other. I think to myself “how many times in my life will I be able to go anywhere I want in the world.” Dad returns to the call and says “uh how much will it cost to fly to uh, Rome?” We all give him a encouraging look.

And that was how it was decided to go to Rome.

As we get off the plane I am overcome with excitement and happiness! I’m in Italy! I’m in Rome! Finally I’m out of the third world country (not that I didn’t have fun but I think I’ve had ENOUGH) Mom and dad arrange a bus to take us to are hotel we had reserved at the airport about 10 minutes ago.

As the bus pulls up at are hotel we all rush out of the bus and get are bags from the trunk. We step inside the hotel lobby and its gorgeous. With antic-looking couches and big flower pots at the entrance. We’re all so giddy as we check in we’re not even disturbed by the grouchy hotel clerk. We’re all laughing and smiling as we get into the elevator to go to are room. When we open the door to are room I am overcome with happiness and joy! The room is beautiful (well from what we’re use too it was a nice surprise). There are two small beds in the entrance, one a couch and one a pull out bed. The two beds have dark blue covers that are so pretty and old-fashion. Then the queen size bed in the mane room has the same beautiful covers, and guess what? There’s a blow dryer in the bathroom!

Coliseum

We drop off are bags in are room and go out to explore. The first thing we do is go to the closest pizza place we can see. We end up across the street from are hotel in a little place that looks good. The pizza is not a circle but is in huge squares that they cut pieces out of. Most of the pizza did not have tomato sauce and was quit simple but was still really good! After that we continue to walk down the main street. Of course I pass about a million shops I want to go in. I’m so happy to be in Rome and out of Cairo. I am so happy I swear I could cry. I literally have tears in my eyes!

First pizza in Rome

Drinking Cafe con leche

A small walk turns into walking all the way to the coliseum (not that its very far). We decide to go inside another day because we just got to Rome. Rome is beautiful. Every building is old and decorative. I love the small cobble stone streets although, I don’t know how the Italians walk in spike heels without braking their ankle!

Trevi Fountain

Art studio

Artemis standing near bust of ARTEMIS the Godess

By the time we get back its around 6:00 and I'm tired from the flight and walking for 3 hours. We all quiet down. I start doing a collage and Caleb is helping me while dad reads lonely planet and mom sleeps. It’s only till 8:00 that we decide to go out for dinner. I was very tired from the flight but after are “quiet time” I’m ready to go out for supper. We find a restaurant about 10 minutes from are hotel.

Having one of many fabulous meals

I order what I think is spaghetti a la (spaghetti with meet sauce), Dad orders gnocchi (small balls of doe with filling),Caleb orders lasagne (I’m sure you no what that is) and mom orders ravioli (square shaped doe with filling). The anti-pasto arrives with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bread. The waiter tells us he made a special anti-pasto for us. The anti-pasto includes:artechok,red peppers stuffed with spiced rice, fresh mozzarella cheese, prosciutto ham, salame, basil leaves and grilled zucchini. Well after are anti-pasto we were all stuffed! Then all off are pastas come and we can barley eat theme. The meal was delicious and we decide next time to just get a anti-pasto. So far I love Rome. It’s beautiful, rich with culture and the food is delicious.

Artemis's new ring from Italy
By Artemis Walden

No comments: