Sunday, April 19, 2009

Israel (2) Feb 28 - March 18


Israel
Gissa

Going to Israel was a life long dream. Ever since I was in my 20’s I had wanted to go to Israel but something always held me back – politics and fear of not only being killed but more importantly fear of never wanting to leave.

Now I know that my fear of not wanting to leave was valid. I LOVED being in Israel. I loved to be able to say Shabbat Shalom to the bus driver. I loved the way the car rental agent took one look at Steve and I as were dripping wet from the sudden down pouring of torrential rain – (in a sing song intonation) “what are you doing here on a day like this- Go back to your hotel, order room service and go back to bed – forget about the car.”

Narrow street in Jerusalam Caleb and I

I LOVED being there with Steve, Mark, Lianna, Caleb, & Artemis. Like the country, especially Jerusalem, my experience was multi layered and intertwined with the fact that I we were there together. Even as I write this missive tears well up in my heart as it overflows with love and joy.

Walking the streets of Jerusalem

I LOVED the fact that hummus was served everywhere all the time for breakfast lunch, dinner and if you got a yen you could always have a little hummus snack. We never seemed to tire of it even when we would all say Nah no more hummus, someone would buy some and we would all dig in hungrily.

Having a lunch in Jerusalem

I LOVED that on Friday the stores closed at 300P.M. and that the workweek is from Sunday to Thursday. The weekend is Friday and Saturday.

I LOVED running around in Jerusalem’s huge central market hours before the Friday Sabbath sunset with toute la gang.

We had all just come out of the incredibly intense visit to the Holocaust Museum feeling very somber. As the bus approached the market, we jumped off the bus and began buying the most delicious foods that were prepared especially for the Sabbath. The plan was to go to the Wailing Wall for Sabbath and then return to our hotel rooms and eat our incredible feast…

The market was filled with people madly buying up all kinds of goodies – prepared or not. There was even a wine stall where we had a taste before buying. The excitement kept building as sunset was approaching… it was palpable.

All we were missing were candles – and as Mark had just finished uttering that all we need is a Lubavicha to come and give us some - a young Lubavich girl approached with our candles. Now we’re ready.

When we arrived at the Wall, it seemed fairly quiet. Steve, Mark & Caleb went on the men’s side and Artemis and I went on the tiny women’s side. Lianna had opted to remain in the main square. After addressing the Wall, Artemis and I stood on chairs to peek over the wall dividing the women from the men. We stayed there till we were told to get down that it was the Sabbath after all.

Now we were all in the square with Lianna and we thought that we had missed IT. But we lingered - we couldn’t leave. After a short while the prayer sections were filling with men and women all dressed up for Friday night. Again you could feel the building of something in the air – before we realized it the square was filled with people singing and dancing. We finally returned to our hotel and lit candles and had the most incredible feast – it was a powerful time. Then we played a game of Rich Person, Poor Person. A good time was had by all.

I LOVED that after Shabbat ( Saturday evening) even though the work week starts on Sunday the whole of the new city in Jerusalem came alive at 9:00 pm. The stores as well as the restaurants opened and the town square was filled with people of all ages and all degrees of religiosity, laughing, singing, dancing and always noshing.

I LOVED that the whole country was celebrating Purim for a whole week – it was carnival time. Here in North America it is a one-day innocuous holiday for the Jewish Diaspora.

All of us in the streets of Zefat

Of course I have not written about the armed guards, the security checks, the ever-present tension that simply IS. Nor have I written about our little adventures driving through the West Bank at times not knowing if we were on the Israeli side or the Palestinian side. Nor of the sight of the wall being built to separate these two sides, nor of the solitary Jewish home surrounded by barbed wire in Jerusalem cause it is situated on the edge of the Muslim & Jewish quarters. No I haven’t done so because that must not take away from the wonderfulness of Israel.

Armed guards walking the streets of Jerusalem

Neither have I written about Tsefat – the place where the Kabala is alive and well and where everyone seems to have come from Montreal – Cote St. Luc to be exact. I could go on and on as our adventures were many and varied. Every day there was a new high. Everyday, I had tears of joy and love in my heart. Everyday I was so happy to be in Israel with all of us.

Zefat

Synague entry in Zefat

Seeing the comings and goings of all the many civilizations, somehow made me feel lighter and joyous – the continuity of life. For me, Israel was transformative, redemptive and inspiring. Even though it was my first visit to Israel, it felt like a re-turning, a re-membering. Now that I have finally made my way there – I know that I will be back.

Gissa

No comments: